Here's what's on our calendar at BYU and beyond.
Ongoing: Submissions for papers, posters, or oral presentations are due for the first international academic conference on the Sustainable Development Goals, held October 2022 at UVU. “Why It Matters” is the theme, and papers will be peer-reviewed for publication through the UN Academic Impact global hubs on sustainability. Learn more
11/5-11/19: Tackling poverty, hunger, and inequality in our community, BYU Student Alumni is the sponsor of Utah County's largest food drive, and since 2012, UVU has partnered with us. Donate money, donate food, volunteer, and help raise awareness through this annual campaign, Valley United Against Hunger, which benefits Community Action Services, a local food bank. Learn more
11/20: The Mormon Environmental Stewardship Alliance, or MESA, hosts its online Faith Is Action Symposium on Saturday, November 20th, from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. (North American Mountain Time). All are welcome and registration is required.
Join us to hear Latter-day Saints from around the world who are working to advocate for solutions to climate change and environmental justice, sharing sound science, and leading environmental stewardship and conservation initiatives in their own communities, regions and countries. Here are a few of our featured speakers you won't want to miss:
- Senator Luz Escamilla of Salt Lake City – environmental and social advocate, business and government leader, and immigrant from Mexico
- Nick Huey of Taylorsville, Utah – U.S. congressional candidate, nonprofit strategist, and BYU/Univesity of Utah "Unite on Climate Change" campaigner
- Councilmember Ana Valdemoros of Salt Lake City – city planner, business owner and immigrant from Argentina
- Ralf Grünke of Nidderau, Germany – national Ecological Democratic Party caucus leader, environmental advocate and former city councilmember
- Craig Galli of Salt Lake City – recently returned Mission President from Barcelona, Spain, and environmental attorney, city planner and educator
- Merikay Smith of Gaithersburg, Maryland – master gardener, community organizer and volunteer leader, and watershed conservation champion
- Sarah Bateman of Orem, Utah – clean air, recycling and sustainability coalitions leader and advocate, and masters student of international studies and environmental diplomacy